THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

New Year's at the parents rots the brain

Well...Day One of my Year Without Music was as easy as can be. (Okay, so there were no record stores open in town, and I was at my parents for half the day, but whatever!) The urge to buy records did not overcome my best judgment. And not even Jon's recent writings about his New Year's Day shopping spree caused anything more than a slight twinge of jealousy. I'll just have to come to turns with the fact that reading Unfinished Novellas for the next year will be a bit painful at times. Speaking of Jon, I bought him this book for Xmas, that he's enjoying. Can't wait to read more about it.

I did do some thinking today on what my first record purchase of the new year may be. Since January is not typically a strong month for new releases, I'll probably look to pick up an old release. I've wanted for some time to purchase one of T. Rex's pre-Electric Warrior releases. Electric Warrior is definitely among my Top-20 albums of all time, and I have plenty of John's Children, Bolan's band prior to starting T. Rex. So, I want to learn more about the period in his songwriting that served as a bridge from "Midsummer Night's Scene" to "Mambo Sun". I also love what I've heard of Bolan's earlier acoustic work as Tyrannosaurus Rex. Specifically, I want some more songs along the line of "Debora," so that may make Prophets, Seers, and Sages my selection. I need to do a bit of reading, I suppose. Anyone have any opinions?

New Year's at the folks was entirely uneventful. We began drinking (Dos Equis with limes for me) around 4 p.m., and after several hands of Euchre, a stellar win for my Fighting Illini, and far too much BORING football, the entire family packed the living room to watch the ball drop in NYC. I was asleep a little over an hour later. I suppose that's the downfall of drinking so early in the day—both M and I were tired early in the eve. So, no bowling alley bar, no Josie B's, no Billy's Tavern...nothing. Oh well. I did get to kiss M at midnight, keeping with her superstitions.

To wrap things up, do others around the country have these asinine "Hip Hop Rots Your Brain" billboards up around town? We have several here (one is actually on the side of the building I work in), a few of which have already been creatively altered with a can of spray paint. Surely the people who are paying for these ads know that declaring something as "evil" only supplies more enthusiasm for the kids to follow down that path. At any rate, the ads are a fucking joke, an extension of the Tipper Gore anti-metal days. (Ask Twisted Sister if landing the number seven slot on Tipper's Parental Music Resource Center "Filthy Fifteen" list did anything for their record sales.) When will parents find a truly worthwhile campaign to back when it comes to their kids? May I suggest: "New Year's at the Parents Rots Your Brain".

5 Comments:

I too was in Canton for the New Year, but I was at Erin's. If I'd only known you were there, and if I weren't 9 months pregnant, I'd have dragged your tired half drunk butt to Billy's myself.

-Mary

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 AM  

See...that's why you've got to keep up with blog on a regular basis. Then you would have been IN THE KNOW. =)

By Blogger thenoiseboy, at 1:59 PM  

I'm pretty sure the "Hip Hop Rots Your Brain" billboards are a joke, or the first stage of some viral marketing campaign. The message on the billboard is attributed to some organization with a name like "The Committee of Responsible and Attentive Parents" - I don't remember exactly what the name is, but the acronym is definitely CRAP.

Actually, here's a blog post about it - http://www.ergodicity.net/mt-archives/000507.html#comments - supposedly it's a stunt by the company that owns the billboard, to show off that billboards get people's attention. The author of the comment also says that the billboard company is responsible for the graffiti.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:33 PM  

If it's a joke, it sure isn't a funny one.

By Blogger thenoiseboy, at 8:41 PM  

FISHED IN!

-A

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

11:15 AM

I too was in Canton for the New Year, but I was at Erin's. If I'd only known you were there, and if I weren't 9 months pregnant, I'd have dragged your tired half drunk butt to Billy's myself.

-Mary    



1:59 PM

See...that's why you've got to keep up with blog on a regular basis. Then you would have been IN THE KNOW. =)    



6:33 PM

I'm pretty sure the "Hip Hop Rots Your Brain" billboards are a joke, or the first stage of some viral marketing campaign. The message on the billboard is attributed to some organization with a name like "The Committee of Responsible and Attentive Parents" - I don't remember exactly what the name is, but the acronym is definitely CRAP.

Actually, here's a blog post about it - http://www.ergodicity.net/mt-archives/000507.html#comments - supposedly it's a stunt by the company that owns the billboard, to show off that billboards get people's attention. The author of the comment also says that the billboard company is responsible for the graffiti.    



8:41 PM

If it's a joke, it sure isn't a funny one.    



1:55 AM

FISHED IN!

-A    



:
:
: