THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

Mixed up: Illinoiseboy Blues

(Introduction provided here.)

Welcome to the second installment of "Mixed Up." Mary got a kick out of Installment 1.0, a mix for her and her newborn son, Eric. Eric is doing well. (Matter of fact, in the photo she sent me, he looks to have adopted a hybrid emo/hip hop style, sporting some baggy clothes and a skull cap. I guess the media gets to 'em sooner and sooner each year.) We here at The Blank Generation wish her a speedy recovery.

But, today's entry isn't about kids, nor does it have anything to do with high school, my vocal chords, or any pitiful poetry that I may have passed off as mine in high school. (Jon recently posted about this supposed "book of poetry" that I published in high school on his site. But, you'll get no link out of me.)

No, today's entry is about a recent friend of note. A guy who, much like Jon, I knew for only a brief time before he fled town. (On a side note, plenty of my friends have moved away from me. Now, isn't it about time that I do some damn moving of my own? The fucking Midwest is getting a little worse for the wear in Year 28.) This particular fellow and I really didn't share what I would call a normal friendship. We saw each other in bars often enough, and spent time talking and what-not. But, we never really hung out independent of an event. I think if he would have stuck around a bit longer, that would have changed, however.

As it is, we've kept in touch since he left town and I hope to visit with him soon, maybe on a summer vacation to the east coast. I think he's doing well for himself, and the move was definitely something that was needed at the time. But, I do miss hanging out at Mike & Molly's and arguing with him about why Crooked Rain is a better album than Wowee Zowee. (Can you believe anyone siding with Wowee?) That was one argument I think I won. Unfortunately, I keep losing the damn argument concerning the better Cheap Trick song: "Surrender" or "I Want You to Want Me". Guess which side of the fence I sit on?


Pavement

Truth is, we're both right on both counts. It's just opinions, after all—even if "Heaven's a Truck" blows away "Grave Architecture." (We can agree on that at least, can't we?)

Ahhhh, Zac. I do miss ya.

I first met Zac in an interview, of all places. As in, I was interviewing his old band. He used to wield a mean axe for American Minor, and I conducted their first-ever interview (to my knowledge). Now that they're on Jive Records, I'm sure they'll have a few more opportunities. Zac isn't in the band anymore, and that makes me both sad and happy at the same time. Sad, because he was an exceptional guitar player who really fucking ached rock and roll from his soul. Happy, because I think he might be better off now, at least on a personal level. Maybe that's not true; I can't really declare that to be fact. But, I think he's changed some as a person since leaving the band and moving back to the Virginias.

At any rate, Zac and I enjoyed a competitive edge that manifested itself in games of pool and music nerd debates like the above. From my first conversation with him—that interview at the dearly departed Les' Lounge—it was obvious that Zac was a little different. It wasn't just that he was a shaggy-haired transplant from West Virginia. His bandmates could all say the same. Zac wasn't trying to fit in, but it had nothing to do with a rebellious haircut. I do believe that he was homesick for most of his year in Champaign, and that might of caused him to be depressed, or just defensive in general. "Home's always going to be home," he told me in the interview.

But, beyond his apprehension for Illinois and its folk, Zac was one smart and savvy motherfucker. When I asked the band what their influences were, Zac chimed in: "When someone asks us our influences we always say Exile on Main Street-era Stones, Mick Taylor and The Faces." Plenty of bands name-drop Exile, but to overlook Keith Richards for Mick Taylor was a bold—and wise—move. Not to mention The Faces. Who in the fuck is giving Rod Stewart props nowadays?

Sure, that might have been a stock answer that any of the band members would have coughed up. None of them argued with it. But, as I came to know Zac a little better, it became clear to me that he was his own beautiful beast. And he wasn't afraid to let you know it. His musical tastes were varied like mine; matter of fact, he was one of the few friends I had that shared my appreciation for country music. (Zac actually commended me for spinning Merle Haggard's "If We Make it Through December" one night. I did a double take.) But, more importantly, when I spoke to Zac I never felt like he was feeding me a line, telling me what I wanted to hear. He spoke honestly, and his opinions came from a certain understanding that he achieved through years of self-education, self-medication, and a thought process that was decidedly un-West Virginia. On the surface, he looked like one of those guys who drives a beat-up pickup truck with a bumper sticker that reads "These colors don't run!". Once I got to know him, however, I found him to be far more complex than I expected. He was grappling with similar issues as me, even if we were at different points on the map.

Zac didn't have a ton of attitude, but he was confident. And I appreciated that trait. It made our discussions more compelling. And, more than anything, it's his friendly face that I miss nowadays. He was the consumate barstool critic, and sadly I've lost him to the East. I guess home will always be home.

Now, about this mix. There's no Pavement or Merle Haggard on it, and for that, I apologize. But, there is plenty of good stuff. Read on...and while you're at it, click on the selected links to listen to an MP3. I'm only keeping these up for a week.

Illinoiseboy Blues

01 Black Mountain, "Don't Run Our Hearts Around"

I wanted this mix to be a bit unruly, a bit haggard, and a bit raw. And this song actually accomplishes all three. If Zac had to conjure up an ideal rock and roll band to play guitar for, I'd bet it would sound something like Black Mountain. And, I don't think he's heard them yet. This particular song finds the singer doing a Jason Molina impersonation, but the music is just killer—like a headbanger's ball trippin' on LSD. The runaway section at the end of the song just floors me. One of the best six minutes I've spent this year with a song.

02 John Fahey, "Requiem for John Hart"


John Fahey

This is a classic from 1967. I could listen to Fahey play the guitar all day long. His technique is remarkable, but more importantly he's got that emotive instinct that can't be taught. He understands human emotion far better than most, and his ability to communicate his thoughts through his instrument is unmatched. When Zac moved back to the Virginias, he lost his appetite to be a musician. He's now warming to the idea once again, taking up pedal steel and mandolin. Possibly, this song will give him some additional motivation.

03 Junior Kimbrough, "I'm Leaving You Baby"

Kimbrough is a gem. I love this song, a rusty nail stuck in the fleet of foot.

04 Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, "Grown So Ugly"

Some rambunctious blues from the Captain off of Safe as Milk. At its core, "Grown So Ugly" is a song most can relate to: a tale of a man that's turned into a real asshole, so much so that the woman he loves doesn't even recognize him anymore.

05 Comets on Fire, "Whiskey River"

Listening to this song is like having the skin peeled back from your scalp. I love it. I realize that I'm stuck on a filthy streak in the mix; but things will soon sway in the opposite direction.

06 Pearls Before Swine, "I Shall Not Care" (edit)

While the entire song is a freak-folk fest, I stripped this song of its three parts to focus on the conclusion, a nice little folk song with a backbeat. It's one of the best passages that Tom Rapp has ever put to tape.

07 Tyrannosaurus Rex, "The Travelling Tragition"

From their Prophets, Seers, and Sages album that I recently picked up, this was perhaps the most engaging song on the record that I hadn't previously heard. Notice the fucked-up hand percussion toward the end and the eery choice of chimes. This is one of the few songs on the record in which Marc Bolan actually sings in a manner that enables the listener to understand what he's actually saying. (Of course, he then decides to sing "Boom-de-boom, de tra-la-la, de rat-a-tat-tat, de-boom-de-boom" as if to puncture any sensical progression to the lyrics.)

08 The Holy Modal Rounders, "Dame Fortune"


The Holy Modal Rounders

Oh, how I love this one. It's from the album, The Moray Eels Eat the Holy Modal Rounders, that gave us "Bird Song" (as heard on the Easy Rider soundtrack). This album is just far-out freak-folk recorded well before the term was coined. But for an "underground" group, their reach was notable. Famous playwright Sam Shepard guested on tambourine on this record, although he's not included here. This song is a bit of an odd-man-out on the album, a weird bluesy piano stroll that's both melancholic and melodic. I would not claim that this particular song is representative of the Rounders as a whole, but it's among my faves from what I've had the pleasure of hearing.

09 The Stooges, "Penetration"

For some reason, this song just sounds great following the Rounders. And it serves to pick up the pace. Iggy is one of the best at sounding like an oversexed, sleazy slimeball, and this is one of his best performances.

10 Blue Cheer, "Summertime Blues"

"Lord I got ta raise a fuss, Lord I got ta raise a holler." Blue Cheer's rendition of Eddie Cochran's 1950s hit is just total balls to the wall deconstructionism. It sounds as if it was written specifically for a huge stack of amplifiers with blown woofers. Blue Cheer really did crank it up to 11.

11 Roky Erickson & The Aliens, "Two Headed Dog"


Roky Erickson

Those of you who are familiar with Erickson's Thirteenth Floor Elevators or his subdued folkier albums of the '90s will be surprised to hear what he sounded like after resurfacing from his bout of madness in the late '70s. This is from his first solo album, released in 1980 in Europe and later reissued in the States under the title The Evil One. (Sympathy for the Record Industry released it in 2002 under the same title, but with an entire bonus disc of live material.)

12 Dolly Parton, "Jolene"

Again, this may seem like a bizarre transition. But, the desperation of Dolly's song flows quite nicely out of the wickedness of Erickson's song.

13 Tammy Wynette, "Apartment #9"

Zac was one of the few (younger) patrons at Mike & Molly's that enjoyed my country music sets. So, this triumvirate of country's grandest ladies goes out to Zac. I called it "grits," instead of "country". My vision of country was a mixture of rootsy blues, boot-scootin' boogie, outlaw country, and Hank.

14 Loretta Lynn, "Less of Me"

I've been shocked by the number of peeps I've spoken with that love Lynn's comeback album from last year, but have really never heard her old stuff. I'm no Loretta Lynn expert, and I do not claim to own much of her extensive discography. But, for cryin' out loud folks, this woman is a legend for a reason. Check out Coal Miner's Daughter (where this was plucked from) and Fist City for starters.

15 Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Matt Sweeney, "My Home Is the Sea"

One of these days I'm going to get around to talking about Oldham's latest album, Superwolf, from which this song comes. It's among his strongest albums to date, regardless of moniker.

16 Entrance, "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor"

Guy Blakeslee's rendition of this traditional blues song is so completely different from Gillian Welch's arrangement on Soul Journey. I know that Zac likes Welch, so I wanted him to hear Entrance's version. They're both exceptional versions, but Blakeslee's rendition taps into a more magical source for its energy. He also allows the song to stretch its legs to almost seven minutes. (Several blues artists have recorded this song, most notably Mississippi John Hurt. I also know Woody Guthrie has covered it, as well as Sandy Denny and Lucinda Williams.)

17 Skip James, "Illinois Blues"


Skip James

Our theme song, and the inspiration for Illinoiseboy Blues. This was taken from Hard Time Killing Floor Blues, which was released in 2003 on the Biograph label. The session is from the mid-'60s, just a few years before James passed. John Fahey rediscovered James, and got him back into the studio for the first time in decades. His guitar playing was still phenomenal at this point. For anyone that wants a great entrance point into James' music, this record would be ideal. Since it was recorded in the '60s, most of the sonic difficulties of his earlier works from the '30s have been banished. And, this is essentially a greatest hits of sorts. Anyway, here's a little excerpt from the lyrics: "You know, I been in Texas and I been in Arkansas. ...But I never had a good time till I got to Illinois." Hopefully, Zac had a few good times, too, while he was in Illinois.

18 Devendra Banhart, "Be Kind"

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really like this song. A lot.

19 The Gris Gris, "Mary #38"

We continue down the modern bluesy route with these fuck-ups from San Fran. This song actually reminds me of The Rolling Stones circa "Play with Fire". It's got that menacing, sly side to it that lends the song a spooky ambience.

20 Dead Meadow, "Good Moanin'"

Oh, yeah. Finish as you start. We come full circle with this heavy, two-fists-a-swinging bastard. I don't know if Zac still has a pick-up truck or not, but if so, he needs to head to the highway as soon as possible. This song will sound absolutely fucking killer as it rips apart his six-by-nines with the windows down on a crisp, dark evening. For sure.

5 Comments:

As i sit here after having read this, it really makes me wish i would have taken up Steve's offer to stay at his place and stuck around for a little while longer afterwards. I should have stuck around and washed dishes and been in a band with Luke. But i had to fly by night out of Champaign in the worst way possible. I could have at least gone to grad school at UIUC. But it didn't work out that way. I ended up making a lot of friends there despite my initial failings in that department. I loved the people in C-U; and I eventually loved the place; and I had to leave literally only weeks after I made this realization. But staying would have been the most difficult thing I could have imagined. Unfortunately i don't keep in touch with most anybody because the inevitable would come up; and that shit still hurts as bad as it did from day one. And this is a shame because there are some damn brilliant, beautiful, moving, and fucking authentic to the bone people there that i would have been more than happy to live out my days with.
I wish everyone the best.
-Zac Ray

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 PM  

You are a truely missed member of the Champaign/Urbana area.

This might sound a bit odd, but I still tell people that some of the best music I have ever heard in this town was coming from the basement of Steve's house on his birthday. That was when you were playing with Mark Newton Steve and I think Pat. I honestly beleive that was one of the best bands that never happened in this town.

However, that is all irrelevant. The important point is that you clearly sided on the Surrender side of the Cheap Trick arguement which is a true sign of character, and the contrast to which has always left me with some suspision about Doug.

-Erik

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

Great mix, TNB. I love that Roky Erickson album--it's downright evil. The demos on the bonus disc sound even more evil--all lo-fi and neurotic. "Bloody Hammer" and "Stand for the Fire Demon"--yikes!

I'd have to come down on the "surrender" side too, but I can see some merit in the "want you" argument--it's a damn memorable pop song. But Cheap Trick to me means "surrender" and "dream police."

By Blogger Bedheaded, at 4:39 PM  

Damn, Doug. I forgot about Dream Police. I guess you're the only advocate i can think of for the 3rd best Cheap Trick song.

ps: got the cd today. We listened to it at work. Brilliant. Thanks so much for the disc and the kind words.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

Thank you, Cred. I'll add you as well. I look forward to checking out your site.

By Blogger thenoiseboy, at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

5:56 PM

As i sit here after having read this, it really makes me wish i would have taken up Steve's offer to stay at his place and stuck around for a little while longer afterwards. I should have stuck around and washed dishes and been in a band with Luke. But i had to fly by night out of Champaign in the worst way possible. I could have at least gone to grad school at UIUC. But it didn't work out that way. I ended up making a lot of friends there despite my initial failings in that department. I loved the people in C-U; and I eventually loved the place; and I had to leave literally only weeks after I made this realization. But staying would have been the most difficult thing I could have imagined. Unfortunately i don't keep in touch with most anybody because the inevitable would come up; and that shit still hurts as bad as it did from day one. And this is a shame because there are some damn brilliant, beautiful, moving, and fucking authentic to the bone people there that i would have been more than happy to live out my days with.
I wish everyone the best.
-Zac Ray    



3:17 PM

You are a truely missed member of the Champaign/Urbana area.

This might sound a bit odd, but I still tell people that some of the best music I have ever heard in this town was coming from the basement of Steve's house on his birthday. That was when you were playing with Mark Newton Steve and I think Pat. I honestly beleive that was one of the best bands that never happened in this town.

However, that is all irrelevant. The important point is that you clearly sided on the Surrender side of the Cheap Trick arguement which is a true sign of character, and the contrast to which has always left me with some suspision about Doug.

-Erik    



4:39 PM

Great mix, TNB. I love that Roky Erickson album--it's downright evil. The demos on the bonus disc sound even more evil--all lo-fi and neurotic. "Bloody Hammer" and "Stand for the Fire Demon"--yikes!

I'd have to come down on the "surrender" side too, but I can see some merit in the "want you" argument--it's a damn memorable pop song. But Cheap Trick to me means "surrender" and "dream police."    



4:51 PM

Damn, Doug. I forgot about Dream Police. I guess you're the only advocate i can think of for the 3rd best Cheap Trick song.

ps: got the cd today. We listened to it at work. Brilliant. Thanks so much for the disc and the kind words.    



11:08 PM

Thank you, Cred. I'll add you as well. I look forward to checking out your site.    



:
:
: