THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

I Do This!

It's 22-0 for my Fighting Illini after they took down No. 10 Michigan State in Lansing tonight. What a big win! I'm a believer now. Some rightfully wonder why it took me 22 wins in a row to fully place all of my confidence in this team. Maybe it's just stupidity, but I truly chalk it up to two things:

1) My constant companion, doubt. I find the potential for wrong before I acknowledge the possibility of right. It's a trait that I can't seem to shake, to my chagrin. And, I just went through some tough times when my Cardinals were swept in the World Series. It's a painful trip to make it that far in the process and then be denied in such a brutal fashion. That took a lot out of me, the fan.

2) I've been beaten down by the mindset that the Illini play in a weak conference, which somehow takes away from what they've been able to accomplish with big wins over Wisconsin and now Michigan State. It's true about the conference. The Big Ten is no match as a conference when compared to the SEC or the Big East or ACC. But, and this is a big but, the Illini are just heads and shoulders better than the other teams in their conference. It wasn't true last season. But tonight, I finally believe that to be true about this squad.

They have a saying on this team: "I do this." They utter the phrase when talking smack, usually at each other during practice. Dee Brown pulls up for a three pointer with Luther Head in his face. Swish. "I do this." Deron Williams breaks down Rich McBride on the dribble and dishes to an open Roger Powell under the basket. "I do this." It's a choice of words with a very blue collar ring to it, which is entirely appropriate for this team.




For as much flash and dazzle as they can possess at times—usually thanks to Dee—they really are a workman-like team. Their motion offense dictates that they work their tails off running around the court to get an open look, often making pass after pass after pass before they shoot the ball. On defense, they hound the opposing team, with big guys moving twenty-plus feet away from the goal in order to double-team guards on screen-and-rolls. They use speed and athleticism and hustle to overcome some of their limitations, like an undersized low-post defense and a lack of consistent points-in-the-paint. They've got an unlimited amount of poise. An opponent isn't going to back them into a corner; they're too proud. They play like a hungry mob of union workers who are looking for a new contract, a fresh lease on life. In the case of this team, they want RESPECT. They want you to believe.

And now, I do. I promise.

N/P—Ennio Morricone, "The Big Gundown"

1 Comments:

'bout time. i better not be hearing any shit about a penn state upset a couple of weeks from now.

m

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

12:31 AM

'bout time. i better not be hearing any shit about a penn state upset a couple of weeks from now.

m    



:
:
: