THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

I don't get it (I can't dance)

Fred from D.C. sent me a copy of the DFA Comp #2 that was all the rave last year. I'm only through the first two (of three) discs, but I already feel nauseated at the thought of continuing any further. I just don't get electronica, even the fucked-up, creative variety (like most of this comp). It hurts my brain to think about this style of music, it bothers my ears to listen to it, and in general, it perplexes me as to why this style of music earns such praise. Curse Moby!

There's some good stuff here, for sure. LCD Soundsystem's "Yeah," despite its lengthy run time, manages to maintain my interest for the most part (even through the abrasive ending). And The Rapture remix of "Sister Saviour" is fun in a Duran Duran-gone-techno sorta way.

But fuck, I just don't find this disc to be the shiznit. Maybe that's because I can't dance. So, I have no interest in music that one dances to, at least in the modern sense of the word "dances". Yet, in the past, I have enjoyed me some electronica, from B. Fleischmann to Kruder & Dorfmeister to Aphex Twin. I've even stomached an Oval concert (one man+laptop), as my curiosity ripped apart my innards and choked me with my own intestines. (Actually, Oval was pretty cool—like an hour's worth of screeching white noise. I'm certain that he turned up the shock value a few notches seeing as he was playing for a handful of Midwesterners.)

So, in the past I've at least enjoyed a smattering of electronica, or whatever in the fuck it's called these days. But, nowadays, I just ain't having none of it. Give me some guitars and amplifiers, or give me death.

Fred, bless his heart, also sent me a copy of Smile, which I have yet to hear in its entirety. I'm guessing that I'm gonna dig it a little more.

N/P—Jon's "Black Mass" mix CD

1 Comments:

hells yeah on the Black Mass.....glad to see that's still gettin' some spins...

...EVIL!!!.....

By Blogger Jonathan Wright, at 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

4:37 PM

hells yeah on the Black Mass.....glad to see that's still gettin' some spins...

...EVIL!!!.....    



:
:
: