THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

Payday!

Today, on Day 19, I scored my first haul of the year, purchasing the three albums that I talked about yesterday (Magnolia Electric Co, The Misunderstood, and T. Rex). I took an extra half-hour over lunch, parked the car in an empty lot, and listened to The Misunderstood. "Children of the Sun," their contribution to Nuggets, is by far the best of the first six songs that were recorded in England late in the band's brief tenure from 1965-66. (I don't recall if it's on Box 1 or 2, as they were technically a California band that briefly flirted with the UK. So, I suppose the Nuggets folks could have included them on either.) But, I can easily see why Richie Unterberger, among others, has made such a big deal out of them. After all, it's not often that you find a steel guitarist running his shit through pedals in a raga-influenced, psychedelic blues band. The band's history is fascinating, too, from their initial involvement with a pre-BBC John Peel to the bizarre circumstances of their break-up to their fascination with music-as-holistic-healing/light show. Read up. But, the record is a bit of let-down. (Then again, I haven't even finished the sucker, so I should withhold judgment.)

Work has prohibited me from listening to much of either T. Rex or Magnolia, so I'll have to provide a recap on those two later. But, I do want to further discuss Black Mountain, which Jon @ Unfinished Novellas has taken the liberty of hyping ad-nausea (along with the fact that he's not on a record-purchasing diet like the proprietor of this blog). You bitch. =)

Anyway, I located another Black Mountain mp3 here (a brief, painless registery process is required) for a third song not featured on the label's site. Wow! "Don't Run Our Hearts Around" finds Black Mountain as good as advertised. Check it out.

On a closing note, if you're in Champaign-Urbana tonight, do head up to The Highdive for the tsunami benefit. I'm now spinning after The Living Blue at the group's bequest. I guess they realized that they can't possibly top my set, so why try? Hardy-har-har. Show up, buy me a beer, and tell me to my face how foolish this whole "Year Without Music" endeavor really is.


N/P—Magnolia Electric Co, Trials & Errors

2 Comments:

Somebody had a baby boy today at around 5pm.....

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 PM  

Woo-hoo!!!

By Blogger thenoiseboy, at 2:49 AM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

11:39 PM

Somebody had a baby boy today at around 5pm.....    



2:49 AM

Woo-hoo!!!    



:
:
: