THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

Tsunami concert!

I wish I was about to tell you about this great upcoming concert featuring the newly reformed, Jenny Toomey-fronted, Simple Machines band Tsunami. I was no fan of Tsunami, but surely that would rock, indie-style.

But, of course, Tsunami is still defunct, Toomey is still running the Future of Music Coalition, and I am referring to an upcoming benefit concert for Tsunami victims that will be held at The Highdive in sunny Champaign, Illinoise. Details follow:

TSUMANI RELIEF BENEFIT
Date: January 19
Time: 9:00 pm
Cover: $5.00
Details: DJ/Live Music

The Living Blue (headlining)
The Noiseboy
The Situation
DJ 2On2Out
Terminus Victor
DJ PBR
Ambitious Pie Party
DJ 2On2Out (opening)


That's right folks, I'll be spinning a brief 45-minute set inbetween local powerhouses The Situation and The Living Blue, whom you know as The Blackouts. For various reasons (legal/confusion), Champaign's Blackouts have decided to change their name upon signing a new record deal with Minty Fresh. Makes perfect sense, as K Records just last year reissued an album by '80s Seattle band The Blackouts. And, from our Blackouts point of view, they also just added a new bass player. So, a new name, and that's The Living Blue. I doubt that they'll have any difficulty keeping that one. Their new web site will be up and running sometime soon, and my interview with them in Skyscraper is a month-and-a-half away from dropping; I'll let ya know when that all happens. But for now, join us at The Highdive and enjoy their first set with their new name. You can say you were at The Living Blue's first-ever concert! How cool is that?

On a more serious note, I'm sure the door guy will accept more than $5, if you should feel so generous. Also, on a related note, Salon.com was running a special last week (not sure if it's still happening) in which they were donating your $35 joining fee (which waives the annoying ads) to the relief efforts. Plus, you get to choose from a few magazine subscriptions, including The New Yorker. Hard to beat that!

As for my set, I'm a bit nervous about it. Apparently, they're putting the DJs on the actual stage itself, which will seem odd. I'm used to being tucked away in the crow's nest at Mike & Molly's, out of harm's way (and sight lines). I better start fretting about what shirt to wear right now. As for the music, I ain't got no worries. I won't even have to disturb my freshly organized collection too much in order to fill 45 minutes. I've been spinning Richard & Linda Thompson to death as of late (after being inspired to pull out the record from a recent post over at Unfinished Novellas), and I'm most definitely going to work in "I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight".


N/P—Swell Maps, Jane from Occupied Europe

1 Comments:

also a little birdy told me it's your girlfriend's birthday. i believe she will be making a couple of not-to-be-turned-down birthday requests.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

11:41 PM

also a little birdy told me it's your girlfriend's birthday. i believe she will be making a couple of not-to-be-turned-down birthday requests.    



:
:
: