THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

I know where Syd Barrett lives, too

In Italy, apparently. He's posing under the guise of a twosome titled Jennifer Gentle. (Ring a bell, fans of Piper at the Gates of Dawn?)

If you don't believe me, listen to "Universal Daughter" from Jennifer Gentle's brand new album on Sub Pop, Valende.

Okay, Syd Barrett jokes aside--(Wait...anyone else seen this, by the way? ...It's fucking hilarious!)--Jennifer Gentle has peaked my interest. There simply are not any number of modern bands running around attempting to recreate Barrett's loopy psychedelic pop goodness. But, the song that really caught my attention from Valende wasn't so much a raping of Syd Barrett's solo material as it was an orgy of pure erotic bliss featuring The Clean, Faust, and a hodgepodge of your favorite freakbeat bands. Check this song out: "I Do Dream You". It's like a syringe dripping with pop 'n' roll heroin injected right into your bulging blue vein. Fuck! Does it get any better than that?


Jennifer Gentle

The jury is still out on the record as a whole. It's only been in my hands for a matter of hours. But, I've already listened to it four times. It's actually a varied, often mellow affair, full of much more of this--"Circles of Sorrow"--than the rabid, beat-up pop of "I Do Dream You". The mixed bag makes the record a tough study. In many ways, it reminds me of the first time I heard Clinic's Internal Wrangler, which was fascinating simply because of its revolting style. I'll post more on Valende later, but if you're as blown away as I was by the samples, you can purchase it on LP or CD here.

In the meantime, there's another record that I need to spend some time with. I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

:
:
: