THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

Blues run the game

I fell in love with the old folk song "Blues Run the Game" a few years ago when I heard my first version of it, recorded by Nick Drake. Since that time, I've also heard Simon & Garfunkel's version. And, it turns out that Bert Jansch, Sandy Denny and the Counting Crows have all also covered the song. (Gee, talk about "Which of these is not like the others?".) At any rate, I've finally heard the original version, and it's tops.

The song itself is a lovely ode to depression. See for yourself:

Catch a boat to England, baby,
Maybe to Spain
Wherever I have gone,
Wherever I've been and gone
Wherever I have gone
The blues are all the same

Send out for whiskey, baby,
Send out for gin
Me and room service, honey
Me and room service, babe
Me and room service, well
We're livin' a life of sin

When I'm not drinkin', baby
You are on my mind
When I'm not sleepin', honey
When I ain't sleepin', momma
When I'm not sleepin',
You know you'll find me crying

Try another city, baby
Another town
Wherever I have gone,
Wherever I've been and gone
Wherever I have gone
The blues come following down

Livin' is a gamble, baby
Lovin's much the same
Wherever I have played
Whenever I throw them dice
Wherever I have played
The blues have run the game

Maybe tomorrow, honey
Someplace down the line
I'll wake up older
So much older, momma
I'll wake up older
And I'll just stop all my tryin'

Catch a boat to England, baby
Maybe to Spain
Wherever I have gone,
Wherever I've been and gone
Wherever I have gone
The blues are all the same


The song was originally composed by Jackson C. Frank on a boat ride from America to England in early 1965. Frank was an upstart New York folk singer that traveled to England in the shadow of Simon & Garfunkel to try to find fame in the burgeoning British folk scene that had already spawned Donovan, Bert Jansch, and Al Stewart, among others. Frank released just one record, Blues Run the Game, shortly after arriving in England in 1965. But, his impression upon those who heard him was substantial. Simon produced the album, and later recorded his own version of "Blues Run the Game". And you can hear a direct link between the melancholic, dark folk music of Frank and Nick Drake.

Frank's time in England was limited, however, as was his celebrity and minor success. He was traveling the world on funds awarded from an insurance payout from a childhood accident. He spent money--on cars, mostly--at a ridiculous rate. And soon there was no more. Frank returned to New York, settling in Woodstock. Long story short, there would be no follow-up recording, and after a brief, failed attempt to revive his career in England, Frank returned to the States, fell into a depression that he couldn't shake, and eventually ended up in and out of mental institutions or homeless in New York City. He was discovered in the 1990s by a kind folk fanatic that helped him receive proper medical attention and a new home. Soon thereafter his album was reissued. Frank died in 1999.




My discovery of Frank was recent, as I purchased the Sanctuary Records reissue of Blues Run the Game, the "expanded deluxe edition" that features an entire second disc of material, basically everything he ever laid to tape. It's well worth seeking out, as not only is "Blues Run the Game" one of the best folk songs I've ever heard, but many of Frank's other songs are also noteworthy. Included below are some of them.

Try Nick Drake's version of "Blues Run the Game" first. It's from the Tanworth-in-Arden bootleg, and is a home recording of poor quality. (It's also miscredited in the jacket to British folkster John Renbourn, who covered the song in 1965, the same year Frank began performing it live. That just shows you how quick the song, and Frank, caught on upon arrival in England.)

Then, listen to Simon & Garfunkel's version from Columbia's expanded release of Sounds of Silence.

Finally, here's Jackson C. Frank's version. I think you'll agree that it's the best.

And, a few more songs by Frank from the same album.

"Milk and Honey" (Drake and Sandy Denny also covered this song.)

"My Name Is Carnival"

"Dialogue"(Again, you can hear where Drake drew obvious inspiration from Frank.)

If you're interested in reading more about Frank, see this article from Dirty Linen published in 1995. For more general info on Frank, see this site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

:
:
: