THE BLANK GENERATION

Trying hard to not keep up with the Joneses in 2005.

Howdy stranger!

I've spent random evenings over the past two months attempting to re-organize my records and CDs into alphabetical order. I'm disorganized as it is, more likely to listen to an album and leave it sitting on top of the receiver than I am to file it back on the shelf when I'm finished with it. That trait, combined with my off-and-on DJing at local bars over the past two years and the recent Great Furniture Consolidation that occurred when my girlfriend moved in, has left my record collection in a state of disarray. Enter a fantastic new shelving system from IKEA for my CDs, and I've got some motivation for re-organizing my albums so that I can actually find something when I want to listen to it.

In the process of doing this great re-organization, I've turned up quite a few long-neglected albums that are begging for some attention. So, I'm starting this sporadic column as an excuse to revisit past affairs, some fleeting and others drawn out. We'll stick to the alphabetical theme, and begin with CDs before eventually moving on to records (and maybe seven-inchers too?).

Possibly I'll rediscover some long-lost loves along the way. If not, I'll at least find some stuff worth donating to an eBay auction. As anyone that has a large record collection can attest to—and as my parents have always been quick to suggest—it can be easy to go a looong time inbetween listens when it comes to certain albums. Like, say, several years. Especially for those fringe records that are truly great, but don't really fulfill an everday purpose. Those who know me best will tell you that I love proving my parents wrong. So, mom and dad, yes I do need all these records, because as you see, I just never know when the urge to listen to EPMD's Business As Usual will strike again.

See below for the first installment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

:
:
: